VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE POSITION OF CHIEF DIRECTOR
GHANA CIVIL SERVICE
FOR THE POSITION OF CHIEF DIRECTOR
The Civil Service Council in collaboration with the Public Services Commission invite applications from suitably qualified Ghanaians for appointment as Chief Directors for selected Ministries. As the Chief Advisor to the Minister, the Chief Director shall be creative and promote productivity by introducing innovative management practices, techniques and systems.
The Chief Director is the Chief Advisor to the Minister, Administrative/ Bureaucratic and Technical Head of a Ministry and is responsible for the efficient organisation, management and delivery of the mandate of the Ministry subject to the general policy direction of the Head of the Civil Service and the Minister.
Duties and Responsibilities
(a) Provide leadership and guidance for determining policies and objectives within the sector and the implementation of those policies and objectives
(b) Co-ordinate work programmes and provide rules, guidelines and procedures to facilitate the achievement of targets set by the Ministry.
(c) Ensure the effective organisation and development of training programmes consistent with sectoral policies and programmes.
(d) Establish systems for effective inter-ministerial and sectoral collaboration and co-operation to avoid duplication and to achieve harmonization of programmes.
(e) Develop systems of effective work-flow and feed-back on the activities within the sector.
(f) Initiate plans and programmes to activate and accelerate the decentralization of the relevant sector where required and,
(h) Lead the implementation of Public/Civil Service wide reform agenda as it relate to the sector.
Qualification and Experience
- A minimum of Masters Degree from a recognized University in Public Policy, Development Economics, Finance, Human Resource Management, Organizational` Development, Public Administration, International Relations or in any other relevant discipline.
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years relevant working experience in Public Service of which at least seven (7) years must have been at the level of Director or equivalent; or
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years relevant working experience in a reputable Private Sector Organization of which at least seven (7) years should be at the level of Managing Director or equivalent.
- Membership of a relevant Professional Body will be an advantage.
- Extensive knowledge in I.C.T.
Competencies and Skills
- Knowledge of Government/Ministries’ strategic and business directions, legislative and decision making processes
- Excellent leadership and management capacity in public organization
- Ability to manage people
- Extensive knowledge of Ghana’s Foreign Policy
- Good Communication, Interpersonal, Negotiation, Conflict management and Presentation skill.
- Strong analytical, quantitative and problem solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Deep appreciation of current Public Financial Management, Procurement and Auditing Acts and Regulations.
- A high sense of integrity and ethical behaviour
- Results-oriented and proactive
- Innovative and reform oriented
- Good human relations and resources management skills
- Fluent written and spoken English
Salary and Conditions of Service
As approved under the Single Spine Salary Policy.
How to apply
- Applications should be submitted with the following supporting documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- A maximum of six (6) page document (in 1.5cm spacing in 12 font size) in which you identify two ministries and discuss the challenging issues affecting the sectors and how you intend to address them for effective performance; and
- The names and addresses of three (3) referees, including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses.
- The applications, together with the above-listed documents should be forwarded, not later than 23rd March, 2018 to:
THE HEAD OF THE CIVIL SERVICE
OFFICE OF THE HEAD OF THE CIVIL SERVICE
P. O. BOX M. 49
N/B: Eligible females are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted applicants would be contacted.
Previous applicants need not apply.